2/10/2006

And the horse you rode in on

I have not yet discovered a law, rule, policy, mandate, edict, agreement, contract, suggestion or any other form of formal, informal, casual, flippant, facetious, tongue-in-cheek or otherwise enforceable or generally accepted proclamation that would force me to make more than one post a month in this blog.

So, there.

I missed the Grammys earlier this week. We stayed out too late eating pancakes at the Black Bear Diner. REALLY GOOD pancakes: 7-grain almond granola pancakes. I just deemed it more important to spend time with friends than to insist on watching the Grammys. I am still as interested as ever in who gets the awards. Pretty stoked that U2 made out so well. Frankly a bit disturbed that the "original" American Idol, Kelly Clarkson, stacked 'em up like she did (if you'll pardon the expression). Then again, I must confess that I have not heard the recording for which she won the awards. It must have some merit, eh? Or not. No guarantees, I'm sure.

So, anyway, "Song of the Year." That, right there, is the ticket. I have compiled a consecutive recording of the Song of the Year going back to the beginning of the Grammy Awards, up through 2000 or 2001, I think. I'll have to check. I know that I have not managed to get Alicia Key's "Fallin'" yet, and was last year John Mayer's "Daughters"? I don't have that, either. Also, I do not yet have U2's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," which includes this year's Song of the Year "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own." (What happened to that trend a few years ago of songs with one-word titles, like "Bent" "Torn" "Smooth" "Jaded" ?)

Quite a collection of songs, that. Forty-eight songs, from "Nel Blue Dipinto di Blue (Volare)" thru "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own." The only Beatles song on the list: "Michelle."

Of course, there are many new songs every year. A whole lot of great songs did not receive the distinction of being placed on this exclusive list. It would be interesting to go back and look at all of the "nominated" songs to see what got left behind.

OK. I just managed to provide myself enough material for like five hundred future posts - one for each Song of the Year, one for each rejected nominee, and a special post (or series of posts) concerning one-word song titles. There is also the whole "band name" discussion. Not to mention several posts around the general theme of "spending time with friends is better than watching the Grammys."

Cool.

2 comments:

AndyM said...

OK - So, this Boromax guy is the bomb - even if he doesn't have "How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb".

By the way, there are two answers: (1) don't build one in the first place (2) love.

I would love to go and have late-night flap-jacks with Boro and the wife.

AM

boromax said...

And of course Boro and the wife would be equally delighted to spend hours with the Jester and his lovely bride, pancakes or no.

As a matter of fact, I do now have "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" AND John Mayer's "Heavy Things" which includes his Song of the Year winner "Daughters."

I still do not have Alicia Keys' "Fallin'" - but I reckon I'll eventually manage to snag it. Hopefully before the 2006 Grammys air next year.

Hey, Andy. I'm enjoying your posts at the Basement very much, and you are causing me to want to make sure that I start getting some stuff in my blog, too. Gotta keep up, ya know.